Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Story Behind "Mombird"

They call me "mombird". Who you ask? Well my stepdaughters do, that's who. I have two awesome stepdaughters whom I love as if they were my own blood. When I first met them, they were 4 and 6. They had no other name to call me but by my first name because of course they felt that "mom" just wasn't appropriate. Understandable. As the year went by, I had been thinking of what they could call me without making them feel uncomfortable. I remember hearing a friend call her mother "Mombird" and I thought, that's it! I pitched the idea to them and it stuck. They have been calling me mombird ever since. I think it has made things easier for all of us because they don't have to feel bad about calling me "mom" and they actually really like the name. 

If you have stepchildren, what do they call YOU? At what age did you meet them for the first time? I'm curious to see the different and creative names for step-parents.
~Mombird

No comments:

Post a Comment